Stir-Fried Tofu and Asparagus
Adapted from Deborah's Madison This Can't be Tofu!
- 2 tbs oil - Sesame or Peanut is good mixed with Canola to get a higher smoke point
- 1 lb Extra Firm Tofu (I prefer White Wave as it seems denser and doesn't require pressing to release water)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 lb Thin Asparagus
- 2 tbs low sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 tbs Szechuan Spicy Stir-Fry (I use "House of Tsang" brand)
- 1/4 cup Teriyaki Sauce (I use "Premier Japan Organic Wheat-Free Teriyaki Sauce" if )
- 5 green onions
Slice tofu into crosswise slabs about 1/2 inch thick. Heat the oil in a frying pan until hot. Add the tofu and cook on one side for 4-5 minutes. Flip the tofu and cook on the other side for another 4-5 minutes. Remove and place on a plate or cutting board. Let cool slightly and then cut into small triangles.
Remove the seeds and veins from the bell pepper and then cut into pieces roughly the size of the tofu. Rinse the asparagus and then snap off the tough ends. Cut the asparagus into 1" size pieces. Slice the green onions into 1/2" pieces.
Add more oil to the frying pain if required. Add bell pepper and asparagus and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly tender. Return the tofu to the pan and season with a few pinches of salt. Pour soy-sauce mixture into the pan and stir around until everything is completely covered. If needed, add water to increase the sauce. Heat until everything is warm.
Serve over rice.
Servings Per Recipe: 2
Coming soon . . .