Mexican Pot Pie
Source: Mommy Logan
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 10 oz frozen corn, thawed slightly
- 24 oz kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal (plus 2 tbs)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (plus 2 tbs)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbs vegetable oil (plus 1 tsp)
- 4 oz green chilies, drained
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly oil a 9 X 13 pan or spray with a nonstick cooking spray.
Heat 1 tbs oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, onions, green pepper, celery, carrots, and corn. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir occasionally and add a few tablespoons of water, if necessary to prevent sticking.
Add remaining filling ingredients, stirring the cornstarch into the tomato sauce before adding. Bring mixture to a boil. Spoon into prepared baking pan.
In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, and baking powder, mixing well.
Combine water, oil, and chilies and stir into dry mixture, stirring just until all ingredients are moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto filling. Spread mixture evenly with a spoon.
Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.