Inspired by IMANKAY's Hummus Casserole on AllRecipes.com
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Eggplant, chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, chopped (any other color except green will work)
- 1 medium Zucchini, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 4 cups very creamy Hummus*
- 8 Whole Wheat Pitas
- 1/4 cup toasted Pine Nuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 X 13 pan (preferably a deeper lasagne style pan).
Sauté the cumin seeds and garlic in the olive oil for a minute or so. Mix in the eggplant, peppers, and zucchini. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender. Salt the vegetables to taste.
Spread 1 1/2 cups of the hummus on the bottom of the pan. Layer 4 of the pitas on top of the hummus (I cut them in half and put the straight edges against the side of the pan and then one whole pita in the middle). Spread about 1 cup of the hummus on top of the pitas. Layer all the vegetables on top of the hummus and spread to evenly cover the pan. Layer another 4 pitas on top of the vegetables and press down to make sure everything fits in the pan. Spread the remaining hummus on top and sprinkle the pine nuts on top.
Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
* If the hummus isn't moist enough, the casserole will be too dry. The hummus I buy at Costco is a very nice consistency for this dish. If you get the hummus from Costco that has the "dippers" included, you can mix everything except the jalapeño peppers into the hummus. Also, you can use their pine nuts for sprinkling on top of the casserole instead of toasting your own.
Make Ahead Instructions: There are a couple of make-ahead options for this dish. You can prepare and cook the vegetables and store them in the refrigerator for several days in advance. And/or, you can assemble the casserole the night before and refrigerate it.
Servings Per Recipe: 16
13% of calories from protein
50% of calories from carbs
37% of calories from fat
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||31 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
For more nutritional information, see NutritionData (scroll below the ingredient list).