Cuban Black Beans and Rice
- 4 cans black beans (7 cups)
- 3 tbs olive oil or butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (use paprika for milder flavor)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 can tomatoes, diced
- 6 cups brown rice, cooked
Drain the cooked beans and reserve the liquid.
In a large skillet or sturdy saucepan, saute the onions, garlic, and spices in the oil or butter until the onions are translucent. Add the carrots and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the green peppers and saute for 5 minutes more. Add salt, black pepper, parsley, juice, and tomatoes and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
Combine the drained black beans with the vegetable mixture. Puree 2-3 cups of the bean-vegetable mixture in the blender with enough reserved liquid to make a smooth puree. Stir the puree into the beans and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste for salt.
Serve the beans on hot rice and top with Hot Sauce and a dollop of sour cream. This is also good as a burrito filling.